Morning routines are so important for a variety of reasons, but most importantly they set the tone for your day. Completing small, simple tasks first thing in the morning can be an immediate mood booster. Whether you are someone who likes to wake up, write in your journal, make your bed, go for a walk, enjoy a cup of coffee/tea, mediate, etc. it is important to find a routine and a combination of things that works for you and makes you feel good.
Over the years I have realized that starting my morning with making my bed, eating a good breakfast and getting a workout in before I begin my workday is extremely important to me and my well-being. I know that when I don’t do these things, it makes my day more crazy and everything seems to be out of whack for the rest of the day and we all know how that feels, right? Not very good!
So a couple years ago I came across an article about drinking lemon water in the morning on an empty stomach and I could not believe all the benefits one could gain from adding such a small and simple thing to your morning routine. All you have to do is simply squeeze half a lemon into your 8oz. glass of water and drink. By simply juicing a lemon one can reap a variety of benefits such as: Vitamin C, immune boosting abilities, increase in gut health, etc. So of course I tried it and since that day, I honestly rarely miss a day and on the days when I don’t have it, I can truly tell a difference. Even when I travel, I might not be able to do it first thing in the morning, but I make sure to ask for a lemon in my water when I grab breakfast, etc.
Below you will find a list of 15 of the most effective health benefits of drinking lemon juice with warm water every morning. (List below sourced from Edison Institute of Nutrition)
- As a rich source of vitamin C, lemon juice protects the body from Immune system deficiencies.
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water every morning helps in maintaining the pH balance of the body.
- With its powerful antibacterial properties, lemon juice helps fight infections
- Acts as a detoxifying agent.
- Helps with maintaining digestive health.
- Along with vitamin C, lemons are also a rich source of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc.
- Helps fight common cold
- Lemon water is also a popular remedy for many kinds of skin problems ranging from acne, rashes and wrinkles to dark spots.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps in quick weight loss as it promotes digestion and increases the metabolic rate.
- Lemon juice is also very effective at cleansing the liver as it promotes the liver to flush out toxins
- Lemon’s anti-inflammatory properties help in fighting respiratory tract infections, sore throat and inflammation of tonsils.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps keep the body hydrated as it provides electrolytes to the body.
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water also helps reduce joint and muscle pain.
- Lemon juice with warm water is also good for your dental health as it helps with toothache and prevents gingivitis.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps with digestion and hence, helps regulate natural bowel movement.
So as you begin the New Year and getting back into the swing of thins, consider adding this into your morning routine. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it makes you feel and it is such a simple thing to do each and everyday.
If this is already part of your routine, what do you think? Can you tell a difference when you don’t start your morning out that way? Would love to know your thoughts!
SHOP KELSEY’S FAVORITE LEMON SQUEEZER HERE:
*Please note the first few days of adding this into your morning routine it may cleanse your system right away, but all will adjust after your body gets used to this new routine in a couple of days! 🙂
Also, if you are looking for more inspiration and missed yesterday’s post about Everyday Joys to Kickoff 2019, make sure to check out the post and print off the template here!